Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 17: The Officer Chronicles

Well, we are 17 days into tour, and we are on our last free day. As the land of 10,000 lakes approaches, PJ and Aaron take a day off.  That’s right folks, this is coming straight from the mouth of me, Steven Kelly.  With the Leadership Development people running the show and keeping the boys in line, we still needed people to replace PJ and Aaron and take over their main responsibilities.  The Head Chorister (Noah), his partner Jacob, Allexzander Sanders, and I have split the staffers responsibilities between us, and it already seems that stress induced insanity is taking over.  Even with the boys doing what they’re told (well, most of the time), new responsibilities are popping out of thin air, and we are certainly kept on our toes.  I am writing this in what would’ve been code green for me, and my poor games are sitting cold and alone.  Oh well, just another sacrifice.  But at least I can occupy myself with journal checking.  Yippee.  If you can see the sarcasm dripping through the screen, then leave a comment below filled with your pity.

                Ok, well, here are some examples of the questions that stood out as being… interesting that have been asked today.  “What do we change into?”  “When we’re in code blue, can we walk around the bus?”  “Are we having lunch today?”  No anonymous, we are skipping lunch today.  Anyways, I’m being honest, this job is hard.  Boys and or gentleman whenever you are going to laugh at PJ’s face, think about his feelings.  Let’s go to a quiet place.  Enough jokes, or…well, maybe there will be a couple. 

                Let’s go into the jobs we’ve been given.  If this post is a little all over the place, cut me some slack, it’s my first time.  Okay, here it goes.  As far as jobs go, we’ve checked all the journals, kept all the boys safe and inline.  All of them, too!  We scouted out a lunch stop, bought all the staff lunches (with the Choirboy’s money, of course) and I have full responsibility of PJ’s wallet, and that just scratched the surface.  We also have full responsibility of yesterday’s merchandise tabulation, and keeping PJ and Aaron in line.  They seem very pleased with themselves for reciting all of the classic questions boys usually ask.

                Movie or no movie, that is the question.  With lunch behind us and rest period in site, we have to figure out where to draw the line.  We have acted pretty well, but still, these are hard decisions.  With my pillow beckoning, it is only logical that I shall answer it.  ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..

                We woke-up from rest period and they were all begging to use the “facilities”, so Noah and I found a spot to stop about 30 minutes ahead of us.  Unfortunately, our “oh-so-good” GPS “Sally Sue” led us to trees, trees, and more trees.  We took a “nature walk” into he forest and the boys came out feeling relieved.

                We continued the drive to the hotel and you could see that the rest period got these boys rejuvenated.  We had some vein attempts to keep them under control, but sometimes boys have to be boys.  We arrived at the hotel and Noah and I went into the hotel with Aaron and PJ to scope out the area and get all the key cards.  Once everyone was checked into their room, we were expecting “Code Green”, but obviously, things do not always go as planned.  Noah, Jacob, Allex and I have been given a huge list with all the tasks that need to be finished tonight.  When I saw that one of the tasks was “blog update”, my heart skipped a beat and I instantly volunteered.  We got all of the jobs done as fast as we could, then PJ came into the room to tell me it was time to update the blog.

                After I sign-off, we are going to a place called “Joey’s” for dinner.  Then we will come back to have some pool time!  Luckily for us, this Best Western has a slide in their pool!

                Before you leave the page, remember this one thing:  A Prefect’s job is harder than it looks, even if they do get Coke’s for lunch.

-Steven T. Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Steven. Loved your blog but I might be just a little biased ;^) Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog post. I feel your pain. As the oldest child, babysitting is my responsibility. There is a lot of stress.
    Sincerely,
    Joey's older Sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME post! I think you may be funnier than PJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you kept all the boys safe! Good job on the blog BTW.........

    ReplyDelete